Monday, March 14, 2011

Sorry sports drinks- there are new all natural alternatives to your high fructose corn syrup and sodium.

I was teaching my Pilates class a couple of weeks ago and on got on a random soap box I started telling everyone to give up the sports drinks, kids and adults should not consume them.  In my book they are just as harmful as soda, they are loaded with chemicals, high fructose corn syrup sugars and sodium that can pack on the pounds and rot your teeth (or your kid's precious teeth) all at the same time.  Typically if you are working out for 90 minutes or less drinking plain old water will maintain hydration. 

I have been competing in triathlons and long distance running events for years, and yes, caloric drinks are beneficial during long runs, rides, swims, games, matches etc.  BUT you don't have to reach for the mainstream sports drinks.  For my Ironman training and race I drank diluted organic white grape juice with a dash of sea salt.  The potassium is high, which helps prevent muscle cramping and the sea salt replenished the sodium I lost through sweat during my race or long training sessions, and the calories were not laced with high fructose corn syrup, just pure grape juice :-) .  Another recent "natural sports drink" of choice has been all natural coconut water.  I prefer the pomegranate acai flavor; again this drink is loaded with potassium and all natural ingredients.  * Please note you only need to add sea salt if you are losing sodium by sweating profusely over a long period of time (2+ hours).  Adding sea salt is not necessary for taking a step class or going out for a 4 mile run.  Another all natural sports drink many triathletes use is Cerasport, I have tried this all natural product and it works wonders too!

Me, rehydrating with my coconut juice after my long run yesterday on the Greenway Lily took a nice long nap in her jogging stroller the entire run!  So, next time you reach for or think to give your kids a sports drink think again, you will save their teeth and the future of their metabolism.  The excessive amount of high fructose corn syrup and sodium is not worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment