Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You can have your pancakes and eat them too!

I grew up eating pancakes on Saturday and Sunday mornings, even back in high school I had the nutrition bug.  In an attempt to make pancakes healthy I used to add fruit, granola, nuts or oats but I was only masking the complete processed pancake mix.  The harmful hydrogenated oils and preservatives were still there,so I needed to find a better recipe.  There are just some mornings when I still wake up want some pancakes!  This morning was one of the mornings that I get to stay home with Lily during the week.  I have more time to prepare breakfast and rather then my normal meal replacement shake I want some real breakfast, eggs, pancakes, etc. Regular processed box pancake mix are out of the question, they are simple carbs not to mention complete pancake mixes have harmful ingredients and preservatives ( I know better now and stay away from the mixes)!. 

During my quest to find the perfect healthy pancake I have tried several recipes and have not found one that I love, some are too heavy, some have no protein, some are too grainy so I decided to make up my own!  The best part is you get full, the blood sugars stabilize and they are packed with protein. 




Makes 4 silver dollar size pancakes (double or triple for the family.)
1/4 c all natural vanilla whey protein
4 tbs oat flour - if you don't have on hand just put rolled oats in the food processor until they are in powder form, or use almond flour if you are really watching the carbs
1 egg
2-3 tablespoons vanilla Greek yogurt
2 tbs organic coconut milk (unsweetened)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

Whisk all ingredients together until protein dissolves and cook on medium heat. Serve with organic jam, pure maple syrup or stevia sweetened syrup (if you are watching your carbs)

ENJOY- let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment