Monday, May 9, 2011

First official Mother's Day from scratch!

I hate to say that this was my first Mother's Day because I have 3 awesome step sons who I love with all my heart and feel like I am also a mother to.  So I am calling this one my first Mother's Day from scratch, I created Lily, carried her, birthed her and here we are on our first Mother's Day.  I could not have asked for a better day. 

What does a Triathlete/ Dietitian want for Mother's Day?  How about a hands free jogging stroller adapter and a vegetable garden!  My husband (and Lily) are the best, they granted me all of my wishes!  I can now run with Lily in her stroller without my shoulders cramping up from death gripping the handle and we will have a Summer full of free vegetables in the back yard courtesy of Ben's hard work yesterday. 

I think I enjoyed yesterday the most because we spent time outside together as a family building the garden. It reminded me of when my grandpa planted a bunch of citrus trees in his back yard when we were little.  He made my brother and I watch him out in the sun all afternoon and after they were all planted we picked which tree we wanted.  Nick had the lemon tree, I had the tangerine tree, grandpa had grapefruit and grandma had oranges.  Throughout the years we would talk about who's tree was the best and produced the most fruit, it was corny but a really special memory.   It was fun to create our own experience like that yesterday.  Ben worked is tail off until his back almost gave out.  Two trips to Home Depot, 27 bags of organic top soil, a trailer full of veggies and herbs and 6 hours of hard work- my organic garden is born!

Enjoy the pictures!

 We tried to get her to sleep in the swing outside but she was way too interested in watching us work!
 Farmer Ben at the beginning stages!
 The swing got boring so after her nap we got her ready for the baby pool.
 It was Mother's Day so Lily and I helped out a little but took breaks too often :-)
 Determined to stand up in her pool.  Look at that face of determination!
 After we removed the 10 pound wet diaper!
 all done!

No comments:

Post a Comment