Saturday, April 30, 2011

Swim Smart, Ride Strong and Run Tough!

Triathlon training is in full swing, it has been a challenge trying to get all of my workouts in with working and taking care of Lily not to mention Ben has been studying for the past 2 weeks with finals. I have found a new appreciation for quality workouts rather then quantity.  I have found that my mental focus during workouts has become very strong and I am feeling great. 

Quality workouts include a little more intensity through speed or hills.  Training to me is all about developing mental toughness so when race time comes you have already had enough tough workouts that you can mentally handle a killer hill on the bike or run course.  Our bodies are capable of doing a lot more then we give them credit to do, but our brains will get in the way and tell us to stop far before we need to. 

One of my favorite mental toughness workouts is running or riding a hilly course outside in zones 3 and 4 near my anaerobic threshold or doing steep hills (incline 10+) on the treadmill for 1-2 minutes followed by flat running between hills.  I used to want to stop after the first hill and now I don't get that feeling until hill number 5, it's all about telling the brain "yes I can!"

Don't get me wrong .slower base cardio work in lower heart rate zone is necessary at least 1-2 days per week typically following a hard workout day, this is usually a smooth swim or flat ride for me, running is high impact so I never use it on a recovery day.  BUT, .iIf time is an issue try some high intensity interval training for your intense cardio session, also known as HIIT training.  The workouts are hard but they are over quick!  Happy training! 
~Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment